|Fresh and beautiful, antique roses|
1. Beautiful, fresh flowers will instantly add a nice, natural splash of colour to a room. Potted plants are great too, and they have the added bonus of lasting a lot longer- provided that you are one of those lucky people that can keep them alive! Fresh flowers and flowering plants can also lift a room with their lovely scent.
2. Open the blinds, or better yet the window. Letting in some natural light -even if it is a bit gloomy outside- will liven up your space. A little natural light goes a long way and you may find that if the weather has been a bit icky lately that you really haven't let the sun in for a while. If it's not too cold and rainy, a breath of fresh air will do your room (and you for that matter) wonders.
3. Re-arrange the furniture, or if that's not an option change up your accessories. Swap the cushions from the couch with the ones in your bedroom, clear off the bookcase and try a new arrangement, put the TV against a different wall- all of these things can completely freshen a room without you having to spend money, just use what you have already!
4. Light a candle. The glow of a candle gives off a soothing and calming vibe, as well as providing a warm tone of light to a space. This can be particularly effective at night time when you can't let the sun shine in. Scented candles are also lovely, but be sure that the scent is not too strong for you as that can create a stifling atmosphere.
5. Put some music on. Music can certainly set the mood of a room and change the tone of a space. Something relaxing, happy, joyful, loud... whatever takes your fancy! Even better if you can sing along- who cares if you can't sing?
6. 'Spring clean' a little. Dust, vacuum/mop and de-clutter. A less than perfectly clean space can start to become a little depressing, and dust or odors can make the air in a room less than pleasant. Try using some essential oils (citrus or peppermint are best) to enliven a room a freshen it up. Throw out or store any 'clutter' that might be lying around- it makes a huge difference!
7. Invite a friend over for a cup of tea. Nothing adds energy to a space like a friend to share it with! It also tends to make you do a bit of a tidy/clean up- and the cup of tea doesn't hurt either.
What are your favourite ways to instantly brighten a room?